Being a vegan lifter and part of the Crossfit community, I get asked about vegan protein a lot. It’s a common misconception that vegan sources of protein are limited. In fact, protein is found in all fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds, and legumes, making protein quite accessible for vegans. Vegans eat a vast variety of diets and thus have a vast variety of protein sources.
While many believe vegans to be protein deficient, protein deficiency is actually quite rare in both vegans and non-vegans alike. Vegans are just as capable of building muscle and strength as others, yet for some reason many still wonder how vegans get enough protein. Because of this, I’ve listed below some of my favorite foods that are packed with protein…All vegan, of course 😉 Enjoy!
Best Vegan Protein Sources
- Edamame: 17g per 189 calories
- Tofu: 20g per 188 calories
- Tempeh: 19g per 193 calories
- Kale: 17g per 190 calories
- Spinach: 24g per 198 calories
- Broccoli: 17g per 205 calories
- Alfalfa Sprouts: 32g per 184 calories
- Lentils: 18g per 230 calories
- Garden of Life Protein Powder: 22g per 110 calories
- Artichokes: 20g per 304 calories
Other Great Vegan Protein Sources
- Black Beans: 21g per 339 calories
- Amaranth: 9g per 252 calories
- Almonds: 20g per 529 calories
- Chick Peas: 19g per 364 calories
- Green Peas: 8g per 118 calories
- Hemp seeds: 11g per 174 calories
Vegan Protein Powders
It’s funny to me that when I mention protein powders as a source of protein, people assume I have to drink protein shakes to get enough protein because I’m vegan….I’ve even had gym members comment on my need of vegan protein powders when they drink protein shakes on the daily. Yet, for some reason people never assume that non-vegans are using protein supplements because their diet is deficient in protein.
Anywhoooooo….I use protein powder regularly because I’m an athlete, not because I’m protein deficient. I listed the Garden of Life protein above, as it’s my favorite. However, there are many options for protein powders that are vegan.
- Way Better Than Whey Protein Powder
- Valia Essential Vegan Protein Powder
- Neat Nutrition Protein Powder
- DOPE Naturally Melonaid Protein Powder
- The Super Elixir – Nourishing Protein
- KAPOWDER Strength Powder
- Garden of Life Raw Vegan Protein Powder
- Orgain Organic Plant Based Protein Powder
- Veggie Elite Performance Protein
- Vega Protein&Greens
Endless Vegan Protein
As you can see, there are endless sources protein for vegans. All plants, including fruits, veggies, nuts, seeds, and legumes, have protein! In addition, there are a plethora of vegan protein powders and fortified foods.